Association Devoted to Mary help of Christians
On June 9,1868 the Shrine of Mary Help of Christians in Valdocco was consecrated. Don Bosco entrusts to the Association Devoted to Mary help of Christians (ADMA) the spreading of devotion to our Lady under this title. He obtains the erection of the Association from the Archbishop of Turin, A. Riccardi, on April 18, 1869. On April 5, 1870 Pope Pius IX raised it to Archconfraternity with the right to aggregate the Associations having the same name and regulations in the Archdiocese of Turin.
On July 5, 1989 the Rector Major , Father Egidio Viganò, acknowledges the fact that the ADMA belongs to the Salesian Family since it comes from its original source and stresses the importance of the Sanctuary at Torino-Valdocco.
Within the Catholic church it is a public association of the faithful aimed at spreading devotion to Mary Help of Christians.
Don Bosco created a vast movement of persons to bring the Gospel of Jesus to young people and to work for their benefit. He himself founded the Society of St. Francis de Sales (Salesians of Don Bosco), the Institute of the Daughters of Mary Help of Christians (Salesian Sisters), the Association of Salesian Cooperators, and the Association Devoted to Mary Help (ADMA). Since then other groups have formed. Today 31 groups make up the Salesian Family spread throughout the world. These Groups have specifically distinct vocations but they live in communion with each other, share Don Bosco’s charism of ministering to the young especially those who are poor and at risk.